NEW LIFE FOR THE OLD SCHOOL
Posted 24th February 2017 by Maggie Clowes
The old school in question is the former British School in Chapel Street built in 1849. It replaced an earlier school founded in 1808. The two storey schoolhouse had a gable end facing the road and two 16 paned sash windows on each floor.
Its enterprising new owners are converting it into a modern home, going ahead in spite of the fact that Chapel Street was badly flooded in Storm Desmond.
Until 1870 all schools were charitable or private institutions. British Schools were funded by non-comformists while the Church of England funded National Schools. Appleby's National School was on the Sands opposite the bowling green. In 1912, in spite of vociferous opposition from those who did not want to pay extra rates a council school was built near the station known as the "Top School"